Thursday, June 30, 2011

Too Young to be Called Grandma

This is a dilemma many woman have to face. It is a wonderful thing to become a grandparent, but what should the child call the grandparents. When I was a child in the Midwest, everyone grandparent was called Grandma and Grandpa. Times have changed.

I am a fairly new grandmother with my granddaughter, Gracie, being just under 2. She is living with our family while her daddy serves in the Middle East. Gracie is talking and she is calling me Mom because everyone else in the house calls me Mom. This is confusing that her Mom and I are both being called Mom. Obviously her Mom is going to stay Mom. What to do?

Now I have to be called something else besides Mom. I searched the internet for grandma names. I don't think I am old enough to be called Grannie or Grams or any other name that makes me sound old. I am not into cute name for Grandma either like NaNa or YeYe. After much discussion, we all decided I would be called Oma which is German for Grandma. After 29 years of being Mom, I am now Oma.

I have attached a link about choosing a name for yourself when you become a grandparent.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I like Oma. My friends daughter called her mother "mommy" and her grandmother "mom" b/c that is what everyone else called her. My mom was 45 when B was born and she didn't choose her name until B was almost 18 months old. It drove me nuts b/c B could say everyone's name by then. She finally settled with "Grammy."

    ReplyDelete