Friday, June 24, 2011

Older drivers+road constuction=confusion


There is a lot of road work going on around where I live. I'm not sure why they wait until the summer to do ALL of the needed road work but it is what it is. I pass through 2 sections of road work on my way to FW, my pool and my child's favorite park. Road work always gives me a little bit of road rage just b/c I'm really inpatient and usually just trying to get to where ever I need to be ASAP. I get even more frustrated when the car in front of me doesn't go when the man changes the sign from "STOP" to "SLOW," pull up next to him to ask him questions or don't understand that the light may be red but the man with the sign is waving to you to come on so it is ok to put your foot on the accelerator. Well today I was on my way to the pool and I came up to the roadwork b/c I forgot to go around it. Anyways, there is a car in front of me with an older driver. I knew this one b/c she had the old lady helmet hair, she had a box of Kleenex in the back of her car up by the back window and I could see her reflection in her side mirror. When we got to the man with the sign he was standing in the middle of the intersection pointing that you had to go left or go right. Obviously this woman needed to go straight b/c she kept creeping towards this man like she thought if maybe she got close enough to him he would move. Well, he didn't. So then she starts honking and I'm thinking in my head (and partially out loud) "will one of the men that are sitting on the curb smoking please go tell this woman that she can't go straight?" Does anyone tell her? nope. The man just keeps pointing. I swear I sat behind this woman for 5 min before she finally just went left. This isn't the first time I've had this issue, not only with older drivers though. I found statics on the CDC website on older drivers who tend to avoid driving under specific conditions. I'm not sure what road construction would fall under, possibility heavy traffic. Personally, I would make it, it's own but I guess it is hard to avoid road work because sometimes it just pops out of nowhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment