Friday, July 1, 2011

Dementia/Alzheimers Activities

This week at fw was not very successful with my regular patient. She is leaving today so I can understand why she didn't really want to participate, and I can't say that I blame her.

However, I did get to work with a Dementia/Alzheimers patient for my competency. I found a neat website that has some fun, simple activities for this population. If you click on the title, you can check it out, too! I chose the Cheerio bird feeder. It was okay, but if I had a redo, I would have chosen brightly colored yarn instead of fishing line and Fruitloops like another classmate. This particular session was difficult because the client is younger than my parents and already at a 1-2 step level.

I was surprised at the simplicity of some of the activities on the website I provided. I guess that just goes to show you it's what the client gets out of the session and not a complicated session that counts. I was a little surprised, however, by the polka music. From what we've learned thus far, soft, soothing music should be used. I was thinking about the polka music being a good idea for a noodle fighting group I sat in on yesterday, but instead, there was soothing, religious music playing. I guess I will find out further in this course when to use fast paced music with Dementia/Alzheimers clients. It was very interesting to the different levels of Dementia patients together in one group.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new client next week. I said hello to her before I left yesterday, and she is such a sweet person!

No comments:

Post a Comment