Sunday, June 12, 2011

Elderly and Obesity

As I have set out on a new "health" adventure including diet and personal training, I have taken on a new lifestyle. My fiance's grandmother, who lives next door, has been on weight watchers and attends meetings weekly and watches what she eats. She has lost a lot of weight and I was asked her if she planned on losing more. She responded that she didn't really care about losing much more, she just wanted to get back into her clothes. She said that she didn't really have to lose weight to impress anyone, she just was losing weight for herself. I can see how this can happen. You are with someone the majority of your life, been through your best years with them and now its towards the end of your life and you want to enjoy yourself. I mean look at myself, I care about what I look like at this point in my life, but when I get to that age, am I really going to care? I've been with someone my whole life, they have seen me though good and bad, and now I want to enjoy life. Eat what I want. Do what I want. Not care what others think about me. At that point in your life, shouldn't you be able to?

I read an article online that 70% of people 60 and over are obese. Is everyone having the same thoughts? That at this point, they just don't care that much about what they look like? This article says that even light exercises can prevent weight gain at this age as your body is changing. Four exercises can do the trick:
1)endurance exercises (walking)
2)strength training
3)stretching
4)balance exercises
(It's always important to warm up and cool down for the elderly so they don't injure themselves)
I have attached the article in the title link.

I think that its part of our job to try to keep these individuals motivated to exercise to keep their bodies healthy. It may not be a top priority to them anymore, but just some light exercises can be beneficial to them if they are doing nothing. Here is a website that has some good light exercises for the older adult. The entire website is based for older adults and not just exercises for them, but for their cognition also. It features exercises on breathing, posture, flexibility, strength, endurance and balance. Perfect for the 4 types of exercises they are supposed to be doing. A great website to look at and have for a resource:
www.eldergym.com

No comments:

Post a Comment