Thursday, June 2, 2011

Not necessarily "old"

Everyone in my OTA class knows I am the oldest. I'm ok with that. Now that we are studying geriatrics, I feel like everyone one should come to me for advice on aging!!
I have found that going back to school at my age has definitely been a challenge, but it has also been a road on my journey (not always an easy journey) through life that I am glad I took.
I attached a link to quotations about the elderly that I really like. I especially like the one by Oliver Wendell Holmes, "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because the quit playing". I think this is so true. I try to remember to put aside some play time every week. During school this is so hard to do and there have been many weeks when I did not play. I regret not doing so! I can't get those days back, I can only try to do better with play in the days and months to come. On the weekends when I did take time for myself and had fun, I felt so much better the following week even though I would feel guilty (just a little) about not getting some of the classwork completed that I honestly intended to get out of the way.
I may not always act my age, but what exactly does acting my age, 55, look like??????

2 comments:

  1. Get out and play Nancy! I do, but I don't really have a choice & yes I always feel guilty. But honestly, I feel more guilty if I don't play. I have someone you can borrow if you ever need someone to play with ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope 55 looks and feels as good to you as it did on the people I saw at the senior center the other day. They were having a blast and doing many of the same things that 30 yrs olds do. Good for them! I honestly really wanted to join in!

    ReplyDelete