Sunday, June 19, 2011

The thin line

My patient for this semester's fieldwork is in the locked portion of the nursing home. He was exposed to agent orange and now has cognitive impairments and progressive dementia. I have worked with him for a couple of weeks now and getting to know him I have discovered that his cognitive level is higher than what I imagined. He understands what I say and responds but it is difficult to understand what he is saying because of his stuttering and aphasia. It was really difficult for me last week when after my therapy session with him, I took him back to his lounge in his unit and left him watching TV. A few minutes later as I was filling out paper work he came wondering out into the courtyard and tried to get into both doors that led into the unlocked portion of the nursing home. I took him back to his room but once again a few minutes later he came wondering back out again. I went out to him again and asked him why he didn't want to stay in his unit and he told me because he was bored. I can't imagine being in a locked unit all day with nothing really to do except wonder the halls and go into a small courtyard. It must be really hard for him because he is just over that cognitive threshold were he understands what is going on but is getting progressively worse in his condition. So I wonder, is this the right kind of environment for him? Is it challenging him cognitively? Or is it just putting him at a level that everyone around him is at a level that is lower than him and that is the only direction he can head? Who is there to talk to him or do activities with him when he is bored?

I have attached a link in the title on how to choose an appropriate facility for someone with dementia: what to look for, if they have special accommodations, special adaptations for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment