Thursday, June 9, 2011

Benefits of Gardening!

This has been a week full of up's and down's, that's for sure. One of the groups that I am working with this summer went out to a facility in Durham and helped with various garden projects. We built 5 large boxes and 4 smaller ones. These boxes will soon hold plenty of veggies and herbs that the members can benefit from. They will have the opportunity to water, pick, and plant so that they can enjoy foods that they actually had a hand in growing. How rewarding!!! We put what seemed like a ton of cardboard down to keep the pesky weeds from growing up through the mulch. The mulch will be put down on the end phase of this project.
What a difference a few hours made that day in this particular garden. I went into this project with a great amount of enthusiasm and excitement. I love planting and weeding and just helping out. I consider this a strength. I know for some that the outdoors is not high on the priority list, but I really enjoy the dirt and mulch. I felt our group came well prepared with our talents and abilities, as well as the necessary tools needed for phase 1. I know enough about myself to hold the wood, and not try to cut it! Some are familiar with my extension cord woes!!!!! Anyhow, I felt we worked well together and got a lot accomplished that Friday. All boxes were put in place, and cardboard covered the entire garden, which is a really great size! I left there with a tremendous sense of accomplishment, and the feeling that we had a "fabulous" first day!
POOF!!!! My excitement was short-lived. We may have been a bit too excited to begin, as we were told that the proper protocal was not addressed. Communication was a bit shy, and, as this was explained to me for 45 minutes, I felt like all that we had done, was just a waste. I felt a sinking feeling and this remained with me for quite a few hours. I tossed all night long--my mind kept going back to the all of the "wrongs" that were pointed out, and how shy the "rights" were. Not to lessen the concerns of some, I fully understand that liabilty is a huge issue. It goes without saying that it is an issue in many instances in our personal daily lives. Whether it is for the students on the playgroung, the band marching outside when the temp's. soar to 126 in the shade, or people using tools that they are not experienced with. I am not dismissing the importance of these issues at all, I fully understand the valid concerns.
Moving forward, we do have a set time to return to this facility next week, as we will continue on with phase 2 of this project. I am praying for a return of that excitement--I don't think that our group will be shy of any communication at this point! I hope that our next visit will bring a rapid return of enthusiasm and a sense of accomplishment. I am reminding myself to focus on the positive.
OT will be alive and well in this garden, as so many issues will be addressed by the members of this facility. A garden of this size will need a lot of tending to. The members will be focusing on attention, safety, motor skills, both fine and gross, social...just to name a few.
I have included a link that shows the benefits of gardening. I am very confident that this facility will be able to reap the benefits of this wonderful garden for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to add a comment about how I noticed you interacting with the members of that facility. It was so nice to see how easily you connected with them, and how well they responded to you. You have a natural way with people that I know will serve you well as an OTA. That really made me smile. :)
    Your other comment regarding communication, points to the importance of both positive and negative feedback, and it is apparent that the correct balance was not there. Hopefully the person who burst your bubble will correct that situation so that you can finish the project with enthusiasm. After all, you are a valuable part of the group!

    ReplyDelete