Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cap-tel

This past weekend I was trying to have a conversation with my grandmother while we were at my cousin's wedding reception. Didn't happen. She had no idea what I was saying. Yes, I talk fast but I significantly slow it down when talking to my grandparents. A few months ago she (or medicare or half & half, I don't know) spent over $3000 on hearing aides which I thought was outrageous. They don't seem to work any better than he other ones. On the plus side she did get a free phone. She got a Cap-tel 800. I've provided a link for those who haven't seen the commercial. They told me all about it last time I visited. My grandparents live in SC, do you think that cap-tel can understand dialect? Nope, it can't. It can't understand what I call "old people talk" either. Old people talk is kind of mumbling/clearing the throat. My grandfather was on the phone with a man from his church last time I was there. He was talking without reading the captions. I was reading the captions, they were at least 15 sec. behind the conversation and it kept saying "inaudible" probably because the man was using old people talk. It does have some other pretty cool features. When the doorbell rings there is a box in the living room that lights up, same for when the phone rings. My grandpa likes it because he can carry a little box out with him while he's working in the yard and it'll vibrate if the house phone is ringing. They only use their cell phone for when they are driving to the doctor (which is about 20-30 min away) or if they are making a long distance call. What is supposed to be so great about cap-tel is that there is a screen that captions what the other person on the phone is saying. I guess I just don't really see what the hype is. But hey, it's"free," right? So why not give it a shot?

Just to clarify, not "free" to anyone. Just those who meet the eligibility requirements., others have to pay. The website provides state-by-state information on eligibility and services.

No comments:

Post a Comment