Thursday, June 23, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I have been at a SNF this summer working with a wonderful lady. She is working hard to be able to go to her home that she shares with her adult son. There are many cliches about home, such as: There's no place like home. Home is where the heart is. Home is where you hang your hat. A man's home is his castle. Until the cows come home. You can never go home again. You can always go home. It's nothing to write home about.
Home is where I want to be. When I am on vacation having a great time, I look forward to go home when the vacation is over. When I turn into the driveway, I get a feeling of peace. After I have been in school all week, I don't want to go anywhere on the weekend because I have not been home all week. I love being home.
Of course, I am sure all the residents in a SNF would like to be healthy enough to live at home. That is why I try to treat them the way I would want to be treated and the way I want someone to treat my parents. If at all possible, I want to care of my parents myself so they will not have to leave their home. Like I have said before, this is the reason I want to become a COTA.
Since I love being home, I cannot imagine being in a SNF, or any other facility, and know that I may never get to go home. I want to age in place. I attached a link containing 10 FAQ's about aging in place. It explains what this is and where to find resources that can help you age in place.
I have already instructed my husband to never put me in a SNF or anywhere else. I want to live out my life at home (being able to take care of myself) until God calls me to my eternal home in heaven! I hope every one of my classmates will be fortunate enough to live healthy, long lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment