Thursday, June 23, 2011

You say the early bird get the worm?..Well I say the night owl gets fun times & a night cap!

During FW today I heard a staff member say that a dilemma of the facility was providing fun & new activities for the residents to do, especially the ones that stay up past dusk! The staff member made a good point when she said not every person is in the bed by 7pm. Night time activities are not really scheduled because when most people think of activities they think of daytime stuff, but I bet some of the residents would not mind a little night time action going on!! Maybe even happy hour a couple nights a week?! I read a very informative & interesting article about a nursing facility in Missouri that has lots of activities (that are not the norm...they refer to BINGO as the "B word") for their residents to do. Today there was a live band at the FW site and the lady I was working with said she enjoyed it very much. She was smiling when I entered the room and the first thing she spoke about (which was the first of many) was how she enjoyed the band. She said they were good enough to play in Vegas! I think she is one that would enjoy happy hour. Today, Audra and I noticed the residents were pumped (thanks to nothing but a little morning java probably...get a little "juice" in them and that place will be comedy central!!) so I think they can handle a little weekly excitement. I felt really bad when I heard that they were lacking in the activities in the evening department, but after reading this article I think there is hope. Let me know what you all think. http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/06/20/adult-entertainment-nursing-homes-undergo-makeover/

No comments:

Post a Comment