Friday, June 3, 2011

Grandparents Raising Children




This past week my attention has been focused on Court TV. The Casey Anthony trial is all over the news. For those of you out of the loop with this one.....basically a young woman is accused of killing her 2 year old daughter, Kaylee. My thoughts keep going to her parents, George and Cindy Anthony. Casey and Kaylee lived with her parents and it is obvious that the grandparents were the little girls main support system. In fact the grandmother basically took care of Kaylee physically, mentally, and financially. The trial is fascinating to watch, but for this class it has made me think of how difficult it must be for seniors to raise young children. I have linked an great web site for seniors in this situation. In my research for this blog I found that 1 out of 10 kids in the US are being raised by their grandparents. I laugh thinking of my own mother who is 63 and I know she loves my two boys age 3 and 5, but she is exhausted after one day with them. The boys wear her out and she often says to me "I don't know how you do it". My question is how do seniors do it, when I am worn out and I am only 36. The support that grandparents need to raise children is huge. The web site I linked, has a great page about how to handle stress. We must stress to our pt. who might be raising children not to be afraid to ask for help. We all need help and as we age it seems like our stress levels increase. Balance is a simple word that I keep hearing over and over again in all of my OT classes. Everyone must find balance, and that balance depends on where you are in life.....even if you are a senior raising a child. As I watch the Casey Anthony trial and see the stress and emotions of Cindy and George Anthony, I feel true respect and empathy for these grandparents. They have lost a grandchild and child. In my career I hope I will be able to help a pt. who is raising a child especially if they are a senior in any way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment