Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Grandpa"

I recently met a wonderful, 88 year old man, who asked to be called "Grandpa". He came down to NC to visit his daughter and her family and never left. He was born and raised in Iowa, and worked on the family farm all of his life. He retired a number of years ago from farming daily, but never walked completely away from it. He built a huge garden at his daughter's house, and spends most of his time tending to it. He enjoys hanging out with his grandchildren, and "pretends" to need their help with his hobby!
Grandpa is a lively and animated story teller, so much laughter was shared as he told stories from his past, and much to the dismay of some in attendance, from the present as well. Grandpa claims that while his mind is still "sharp as a tack", he feels a "twinge of Art" in his hands. He calls on the grand kids to help out when he fakes his "excruciating pain". They are always willing to help out, as they have yet to find out about his exaggerations.
I was struck by a number of things as we listened to the stories, but the most beautiful thing was watching the family dynamics at work here among three generations. Clearly this family has had their fare share of ups-and-downs, struggles along the way, as well as hardships, but the love and support is clearly evident and working well. There is a deep-rooted respect and kindness among the members of this extended family, and all appear to be reaping the benefits of this.
I left our visit with a sense of wonder. I never knew either of my grandfather's, as they both passed away before I was born. I wonder if they would have been like Grandpa. He welcomed us into their home that night and talked and laughed with us, just as easily as could be. He gave me some of the most delicious tomatoes I have ever had, and the cucumbers were out of this world. He said he does something to the soil to grow them that good, but could not give up the recipe!!!!
As we continue on our FW this summer, I am reminded that the geriatric population has so much to share. Their lives tell tales that I hope we all get to hear about. I realize that while Grandpa is fortunate to still be active and feeling well, we do not often see this side of the folks at our FW site. We, as OTA students, have the opportunity to sit and talk with most of our patients. While we can provide dignities and activities to work on engagement, function, and meaning, I feel that we are on the receiving end of something even a bit bigger. We have the opportunity to listen and learn from a population that has a wealth of info. to share. We have the capacity to impact those we serve, and they have the ability to impact us as students for a very long time. The geriatric population has lived, loved, and survived much!
I am looking forward to another visit with Grandpa soon. I can't wait to hear more about his antics and to get another basket of garden goodies!!!
I have included a link which talks about the positive impact grandparents have on their granchildren. I think it is worth the read!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and your comments about how much the older generation has to give us if we only slow down and pay attention

    ReplyDelete