Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fieldwork ... the good, the bad and the ugh!

I am, generally speaking, a "learn by doing" kind of girl.  To me, learning something from a book whether it is OT or fixing a car, is challenging.  I'm just not built that way. 

Last semester on fieldwork, I got to "try out" a lot of the things that we had read about or been lectured on.  It was great.  I had a nice OT with which I worked great.  She was very detail oriented and let me know why she was doing things, but still let me try whatever I felt comfortable with (under her close supervision, of course).  I was comfortable.  I saw a steady core of 4 or 5 patients with a few one-time patients sprinkled in.

This semester, I thought would be a gradual "up grade".  I would have basically the same patient each week and be working on a skill that would either gradually improve or wouldn't.  At any rate, I would know basically what skills to work on from week to week.  Ugh!  I've only a total of 3 patients in my 4 weeks.  I saw the first patient 2 times, but have been getting new patients each week since then.  For me, this "unknown factor" has made fieldwork very stressful.  Not only do I not know the patient, but at what level they are performing.  For example, 2 weeks ago, I was supposed to see J.  I had gathered the information from her chart from when she was admitted, but didn't get to see her that week, so when I met with her this past week, all of the STG they had listed had been met.  When I went to start the treatment session, I found out that she had also met all of her LTG and was getting ready to be d/c from OT.  I felt like my session was pretty much blown all to pieces, though she was a lovely lady and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with her about fishing spots that we had in common.  I ended up working on ue strength, even though she was very strong.

This week, I am due my 4th new patient in 5 weeks.  I know that this will be commonplace in the real world, but I am finding it frustrating when my Tx session plans are due 4 days in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment