Thursday, June 9, 2011

My parents

My father is turning 81 this month and my mother is 77. Since our class is on geriatrics this summer, I am paying a lot more attention to the physical signs of aging that are occurring with them. I am very close to my parents and the thought of losing them terrifies me. I really think that one reason I am in this field is to be able to help them as much as possible as their needs arise. I have attached a link to caring for aging parents. It has all kinds of things you need to know such as advice, support and articles on different aspects of caring for parents.
Whenever I am with an elderly patient, I see them as someones parent and treat them the way I would want someone to treat my parents. One day, if I am blessed enough to live to the old old stage, I want those who are helping me to remember that I was once young and not feeble and to treat me the way they want someone to treat them.
We can learn so much from the elderly if we just listen! Pay attention, treat them with respect, be the best OTAs we can be. We have so much to give to our parents and to other parents!

1 comment:

  1. I think that imagining that each senior that you work with is someone that is close to you, is a great way to approach them with the right attitude. I love that idea! My mother is in assisted living and I often wonder how they treat her on a daily basis, but I hear many reports from her and from my siblings about how kind they are to her. I cannot tell you how extremely glad I am not know that.

    ReplyDelete