Thursday, June 2, 2011

What to blog about? Hmmmm.......

As the title says, I was a bit stumped as to what topic to choose for my weekly blog. I decided that the weather just wouldn't cut it--hot is just plain hot! Oppressive,unbearable, nasty.... Just plain HOT!!!
I was thinking about all of the projects that we have to work on, and the poster project kept sneaking up on me!! My topic is Health & Wellness. I am waiting to hear back from the instructors, but I thought that I would target "Aqua Therapy" as one avenue in this very broad category.
Several years ago, I did join a class at a gym for this very purpose. This was when the good doctor(?)told me that I had pulled a tendon at the very top of my thigh, and that PT in combination with aqua therapy would greatly reduce the "uncomfortable" pain in this region.
I did wonder how I was going to fit in with all of the elders that would be in this class. I wished there was a class of middle-agers so that I would not stick out like a soar thumb. I wondered if my hair was the correct shade of blue!!(JK)
I went to my first class in the ugliest bathing suit I could find. Not that I expected anything to look real pretty on me, but knowing that the pool would be heavily saturated with chlorine, I just grabbed the cheapest, ugliest suit I could find at a local store. Mission accomplished--it was nasty, even my kids agreed.
As I went into the locker room to put my things away, an elderly woman with sunglasses on told me that she liked my swimsuit! This is an indoor pool!!!! I had the opportunity to listen to a few conversations before our class began. I heard about the joint replacements, back surgeries, and even the skin irritations that just wouldn't clear up!!!! I decided it was time to head for the pool, as I only had to deal with my poor little tendon!!
I followed the lead of one woman who went for the weights and headed to the middle of the pool. The instructor came in, put some music on, and away we went. Side-stepping to one end, and then back for more in the other direction. Walking backwards, forwards, picking up the pace. I thought I was going to get run-over in the pool that day!!! The injuries, illnesses, and irritations didn't seem to slow this group down a bit!! They hooted and hollered and sang with the music, while I was struggling to stay afloat!!! I saw, and felt, an energy that day in the pool that I was not prepared for. As class continued on, I silently prayed that I would just make it through. I prayed that if I did in fact make it out alive, my ugly bathing suit and I would resolve to join the beginner's class, where I should have been all along. I may have been one of the youngest in this class, but I sure felt as if I had years on this energetic bunch.
As class came to an end after 45 torturous minutes, I felt a great relief. The instructor asked me how I liked the class. I told her it was real nice, then checked the board to make sure she didn't teach the beginner's class!!! The age of these folks surely did not slow them down a bit. They were energized while being in the pool and engaging in this activity.
I did attend the beginner's class for a while. I felt safe and snug in the pool with this group. They were about my speed, so I was able to keep up. There I stayed for the next several weeks, knowing that this was about all I could do, but enjoying it while I was there!!!
Click on the title to see "my" swim class!!! This picture shows a group of seniors who clearly enjoy their time in the pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment