Friday, June 17, 2011

A Bad Situation



I feel sorry for my client's son. I know I'm not suppose to feel that way, but I can't help it. It's hard to have empathy because I have never had to care for one of my parents, let alone an obese one. My client at fw is supposedly going home Monday since her or her family can't afford her care, and her son is the main one who is going to take over this daunting task when she goes home. I don't think her son has a clue as to what he's getting himself into. It's not fair that he is going to have to change her diapers, and she should not expect him to! Maybe I would feel differently if I thought she was at least trying to better herself. Don't get me wrong, she's a very nice person, and I enjoy spending time with her, but I think she has acquired "learned helplessness" just like we learned about and discussed in class. I wonder if she will try harder to care for herself when she goes home?

My client's son happen to visit his mother the other day when she was getting changed and a sponge bath. I almost wanted to suggest to him and his mother that he should come learn how to do this, but I knew it wasn't my place. I just wanted to see how they would both handle that situation, and ask the both of them how hygiene issues will transpire once she's home.

The article I provided a link to is a very interesting article the gives some great tips for caring for elderly parents. One tip that I have never heard about is hiring a social worker or geriatric case manager to come in and essentially solve conflicts b/t siblings objectively. I feel like this is going to happen with my former client at fw since she has a total of 4 children.

Another point the article talked about is how male children who have to take care of their mothers will most often just pay someone to do it. Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen with the situation that I have been discussing. My client even told me that her son will be attending a community college in the fall.

Anyway, I hope everything works out for the best, and I have a feeling I'll probably see my former client again!

No comments:

Post a Comment