Sunday, June 5, 2011

No Pain, No Gain and NO Ageism!

While looking at WRAL's website I saw an article regarding a 70 yr old Durham woman staying fit. Let me tell you this senior puts ageism to rest! She is 70 years old and 2 months ago trekked Mt. Everest...and had better endurance than some 30 yr olds that were there with her. This is not the first time she has trekked the highest mountain in the world; this is her third time. My jawed dropped and stayed that way the more I read about this amazing "old old" woman, which I'm guessing is some form of ageism but all I can say is my apologies and you go girl! With the help of Durham's Rice Diet Program she went from 250 lbs to 149lbs and she is also a breast cancer survivor, or as she likes to call it a breast cancer conqueror. At 70 yrs old she has a personal trainer who is her personal cheerleader, he says she is not one for excuses. He says the physical activities at the senior center is not challenging enough for her; she says during their exercise routine she will ask which variations are hardest and choose those. So I say go ahead on America and keep thinking all elders are slow, in poor health condition and can't learn new things...this 70 year old Durham woman is the poster child for anti-ageism and the caption says "How you like me now?!" If you would like to read the full story and be amazed as well I have provided a link to WRAL's website.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you guys, I copied and pasted the link to WRAL but for some reason it did not work. Here it is: http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/9670359/
    -Denae

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually did, sorry we forgot to tell you the secret about this blog ;-D

    We don't know why but the link doesn't show up, but if you click on your title it'll take you to the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that there is so much information about staying healthy and fit as we get older. Yes, there are things that we can't control, like some diseases that just happen, but there are so many things we CAN do, like diet and exercise just to start. I'm so glad that this woman is showing the world what can be done!

    ReplyDelete