Sunday, July 10, 2011

If there is no family member......OT/OTA your it!!



I am going over material for a test on Monday. I actually finished reading the chapter on mobility and restraints and couldn't help but think about the different ways family members can get involved in this process. Some of the old myths about restraints are that restraints can keep injuries from happening. Actually, as seen in the linked article, Restraints DO NOT help prevent falls. In fact, Restraints are often actually the cause of injuries or even death. As OTA students we can read all the updated information and educate ourselves on alternatives for restraints because it is in our scoop of practice to help educate family members and clients on different alternatives. We can help provide information to staff and physicians on our clients. If you have a chance to read the linked article, I love the page talking with family members. The advice to family members include talk with staff and MD's about current restraints especially if you don't think they are needed, get a list of different things tried in the past, get information on how long the restraint will be used and how many hours it is on during the day and night, and find out about your loved ones routines and habits. Isn't this part of our job as OTA's? If I have a client who is in restraints I am going to do all of the above plus some. I might even find an item for my client that can make them feel like home or give them comfort. If there is no family member, then in my opinion we become family as best as we can. It may seem like a small thing to do to make sure your client or senior can reach their call bell, remote, or water bottle. These are simple things we can do for our clients now even as students. This can assure dignity and independence. I would want this for my family members and myself. If I am the only family member someone has, I will take that place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment