Thursday, July 7, 2011

Every Picture Tells a Story, Don't It?

Yet another project!!! I was not looking forward to this scrapbooking project. I was uncertain about going through all of the old photos, worried that I would not choose the best pictures. I was even more uncertain as to my creativity, worried that I would not be able to put this thing together correctly. I was not sure if I was up to this creativity challenge! I was also confronted with the dreaded possibility that someday I may not be able to recognize faces of those that I love, the voices and laughter that entertain, or remember my favorite place, which happens to be my own backyard.
My Grandmother passed away many years ago from degenerate brain disease. A favorite uncle began having bouts of confusion last August when he was in for a family wedding--uncle J and aunt L have traveled extensively looking for answers. About three weeks ago, the Mayo clinic confirmed that he has a form of Alzheimer's. Developing this disease has been a huge concern all of his life. I cannot imagine how this news hit him. He actually knows what he is in for--heartbreaking!
As I began going through the old photos, I saw the smiling faces (or there lack of), the big hair, and the polyester clothes that were in style back in the day. My brother and his family are visiting from PA, (YEAH!) so we were going through pictures the other night. Some that made it in the book, but a ton that did not. Many stories and much laughter was had by all! Hard to believe that my parents were able to get the walls cleaned after my other brother threw the colored Easter eggs at the living room wall (his ill attempt at splatter painting?!) thinking it would be funny! Not our best holiday ever, as seen in the before and after pictures of us with our baskets, candy wrappers everywhere, the newly colored wall, and then 5 unhappy faces.....
I started going through the girls scrapbooking container (yes, my girls have scrapbooked before; I have not), looking for backgrounds, words, and stickers. As I was trying to figure out what backgrounds went with what pictures, I was hit with this reality-- Really no need to have felt threatened by a lack of creativity on this project. I do believe that I have met the criteria for my grade, but I have left a lot of blank pages, as I do intend to continue on with my favorite people and things.
For our patient's in the future, we not be able to make an extensive memory book, but we may be able to provide a favorite story or poem, or a calendar that tells of the days events. Or better yet, hopefully we can engage them in a purposeful and meaningful activity, and create a memory in process!

No comments:

Post a Comment