Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Good Death

It was not to difficult to answer the question of what a good death would look like to me. It would mean going to bed after having kissed my family goodnight, told them that I loved them, and never waking up. It would mean a peaceful end to this journey, and a beautiful beginning to the next!
I truly do not believe that many of us will be fortunate enough to have this type of experience. I know of only one person who left this earth in this manner. Talk about a "free ride!!!"
What I know about Hospice is this--in a very simplified form--Hospice provides comfort and compassion not only to the dying individual, but also to their family and loved ones.
What I believe about Hospice is this--Only a very special person is capable of meeting the needs of a dying individual. It would take a person whose caring, compassion, energy, and understanding are unwavering. I believe this person also has to have a remarkable strength in their faith in order to provide the level of care that is needed as they guide an individual through their journey.
I have never experienced Hospice firsthand. Whether that is a curse or a blessing; unsure to me at this point. I have however heard from a friend whose family had needed Hospice not too long ago. My friend told me that her Dad was treated with such dignity and respect, that the whole family was amazed. She explained that "you would have thought he was the most important person on earth." They were very grateful for the care that he received.
I know of a person that worked for Hospice many years ago. To this day, she still possesses all of the qualities that led her to Hospice, and then eventually to her position in the ER. Her undertanding of the human spirit never ceases to amaze me. I am blessed to have her in my life!
As OTA's, we may have the opportunity to speak to our patient's about death. 'Know your patient' stands out when thinking about this. Not only should we know their faith, but also the strength of that faith. In my experience with the senior population, they appear to be very spiritual/religious, which would make for a smoother transition along the journey.
I believe that one of the greatest activities we may provide for the dying patient is to help with a scrapbook that they would leave behind, but that would be of a huge benefit while they are still here. If a patient liked to cook a big meal for family and friends, we may assist in making that a reality. Helping a patient to create a memory blanket with meaningful pieces of their lives on it, is another option. If presented with this situation, there are many options that may be generated.
I would think that the best time to call on Hospice would be at the beginning of a life-altering situation. Ideas, strategies, and information may be shared that would benefit all involved for the journey ahead.
For me, the most ideal situation as my time drew near would be this: I would feel enveloped in love, care, and prayers. I hope to leave this life hearing the voices (real voices!) of those that I have loved. I hope to hear laughter as stories are shared, with music in the background! That would be a good death!
I found two quotes that I thought were appropriate to the subject.

It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a lmited time on earth--and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

God's finger touched him, and he slept.
Alfred, Lord Teenyson

No comments:

Post a Comment