Sunday, July 10, 2011

Alzheimers vs Dementia?

As we have been studying, I have become even more confused about the difference between dementia and AD. It seems that the two terms are used interchangeably, so I needed some clarification and came upon a very informative website called Alzheimer's Reading Room, just click on the title to access it. Basically, dementia is a symptom, and AD is the cause of the symptom.

There was this older gentleman in front of me in the line at Kroger the other day. Right before he was going to pay for his food, he asked for his employee discount, and the cashier looked puzzled and asked if he was a new employee because she didn't recognize him. I don't think he ever answered her, but he did still insist on receiving his discount, so the cashier directed him to the customer service desk. He went over there but didn't stay very long. Beforehand, I would've probably just thought he was trying to get out of paying, but now I know, more than likely, he used to work at a Kroger when he was much younger and probably has mild dementia.

When I was doing my fw at an ALF, I saw this pt who always insisted that her husband was her grandpa. I can't imagine how her husband must feel, considering they had been married for over 60 years. Mostly, he would laugh it off, but it must be very lonely. I can't fathom caring for my husband one day and hearing him refer to me as his grandma. I bet it would be very frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment