Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy July 4th to ALL......



My family is in the pool, the meat is on the grill, fireworks are ready to entertain and some cold beverages are in ice for the taking......but I can't forget that blogging must be done!! As I sit and think about this July 4th celebration, I can't help but think about how many seniors may be celebrating this weekend. Will they be with friends and family, or are they all alone this year. I am looking at the clock and it's only 10am in NC, but it is HOT already. Seniors this time of year must be very careful of the heat and staying hydrated. I wonder if this keeps them from participating in outdoor activities and family events at the pool or park. Speaking of food, the meat on our grill will be ready to eat by 2:00. We have enough to feed a small town but what if I was all alone this July 4th. Would I cook for myself. This also makes me think of our seniors and wonder what and how they are eating this July 4th. I found a great "alert" article for seniors on-line this morning. I have never thought about this before but seniors are at risk for eating food such as hot dogs and cold cuts that have not been heated and cooked all the way. They can be contaminated with a bacteria Listeria, which can make them very sick. Hot dogs should only remain in the refrigerator after opening for two weeks. I am certain many seniors living alone keep their hotdogs longer than two weeks. All of this to say, I hope seniors can get out and enjoy July 4th with family and friends. If our seniors are all alone, lets just hope we can help educate them of safe habits and protect them when we can. Have a safe and happy July 4th. Remember that at whatever age you are now, you will only get older next year and be thank-ful for this holiday right here today. Happy July 4th everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment