Sunday, July 10, 2011

Memory books for the elderly

One of my class projects was to create a memory book about my life. I was a bit hesitant to get started because I would have to find my pictures, then search through all 1 gazillion of them to find the pictures I wanted to use in my memory book. But I actually enjoyed reminiscing about the "good ole days". It brought back alot of good memories & put a smile on my face... sometimes I even laughed out loud. It made me realize how fortunate I have been to have such a wonderful life & family.

The project was given to help us understand how important a memory book can be for the elderly, especially those with dementia. It helps them to look back & remember the good times, and it reminds them who their family is & what kind of life they use to have. It also helps the caregivers get to know the person better. I've learned that song, music & rhythm are lost later in the stages of dementia, so it helps to have familiar songs & tunes in the memory book.

Our class was given a website that an OT created that discusses memory books for the elderly. http://www.barbarasmithoccupationaltherapist.com/activitybook.html. Barbara shows & describes the activity book that she made for her mother when her mother had Alzheimer's Disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment