Sunday, July 3, 2011

Adaptive Equipment

Last week I went with my husband to his follow-up appointment. While waiting in the exam room, getting restless, my husband starts to explore the room. He pulls out this piece of equipment and of course being an OTAS I knew what it was.. a dressing reacher! Now he has seen the reacher I have in my car that I use for fieldwork but never asked me what is was used for. He thought I took up another profession; street cleaner, LOL !
The office which we were in, most of the patients are older (my husband is not a senior, smile). I was a little surprise that the reacher was there but was pleased that the practice realized and recognized that some older folks need a little help getting dressed after being seen. I wonder how many other practices have adpative equipment for their older patients, hmm? While researching a website for this blog, I had a hard time finding any information about AE and medical offices. Even in my travels of different doctors for different health issues and check-ups, this was the first office that I found an AE. I wonder who on staff came up with the idea. Do or did they have an OT/OTA? Or was it a patient that clued them in to the needs of the elderly. At my husband's next appointment I might have to ask who idea it was and commend them on helping seniors maintain independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment