Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dementia

Studying dementia this semester has opened my eyes much wider than they were before. Both of my grandmothers suffered from this horrible disease. I have always thought cancer was the worst disease any one could have, but now I think AD is. Watching the hurt that came from my grandmother not recognizing my mother was so painful. I often wonder if dementia will be something I suffer from when I get older. This frightens me to the core. I have often heard what would be worse, having a healthy body and no mind, or having your mind and your body is unable to do anything? I don't know the answer to this question, but I know I don't want to live not recognizing the people I love or not being able to do the things I enjoy. I attached a link about Dementia. It lists the causes, symptoms and signs that you can look for in your loved ones.
One of the class assignments this summer was to create a memory book on ourselves. I have never put together a scrap book on myself before and felt uneasy about starting something that could bring up good and bad memories. I found out the good times definitely outnumbered the bad! I actually enjoyed doing this project much more than I thought I would, and see myself continuing the scrapbook in the coming years.
I read one of the blogs about making a bucket list. I have often thought of sitting down and doing this. I don't think I ever will. Now, when I die, I just want to hear, "well done, my good and faithful servant" Matt. 25:23.

No comments:

Post a Comment