Monday, July 4, 2011

Me ... old ...

As I have been doing the memory book assignment, I have been looking through a lot of pictures.  Pictures of my parents when they were my age.  I look quite a bit like my dad, so I started to think about not only how I will look as I age, but also how I will handle aging.

My dad was 62 when he passed away, so I can't really compare myself to him in my imaginary "retirement world," but thinking about between now and 62 ... that's 21 years, what will I do?  How will I handle aging?  Will I work 60-70 hours/week like my dad?  He loved his job and found it very fulfilling.  I would like to think I would enjoy working, though maybe not that much.  Will I make time to do things with my siblings, my kids, my grandkids.  I hope I will, but you know as well as I do, time FLIES.  I can't believe that my kids are 9 & 11!  Where did the time go?  Did I spend as much time as I should've with them?  Sometimes I think a definite "yes" and sometimes I look at them and wish I had taken the time to really enjoy them when they were babies, instead of stressing over how much they ate (or pooped) or whatever. 

Whatever the case, I am the only one that can directly influence how I age.  It is part genetics, but it is mostly choices.  Choices about what I think is important; what takes priority in this fast-paced life we live.  I've decided to make a "bucket list" so that I at least attempt to do all of the things that are meaningful to me.

Wanna make a bucket list?  Get some ideas here.  http://celestinechua.com/blog/whats-on-your-bucket-list-101-things-to-do-before-you-die/.

No comments:

Post a Comment