Friday, July 1, 2011

The Importance of Kindness

I have had the priviledge of meeting a fellow DTCC OTA graduate, who is now working at a nursing home. When I first met her, she was giving us a tour of the facility, and my first impression was that she was a very kind person. She smiles a lot, and has a very patient and helpful nature. Well, sometimes first impressions can be wrong, but I’m glad to say that in this case, she is exactly as she appears. On numerous cases I have seen her in action and she never seems to be anything but endlessly patient and kind. I have asked her many questions during the learning process of my work in her facility and every single time I am met with the exact same attitude of helpfulness and kindness.

This woman has really made me think about how important kindness in our future work as OTAs. We learned about the many attributes that we will have to have to be successful and I don’t disagree with anything on the list, but somehow I truly believe that like this woman, kindness must be our underlying attribute in every work situation.

As I wander through the nursing home I see many kinds of people of various ages, physical and mental conditions. I try to put myself in each of their places and wonder, what is it like to be here, and be them? I also wonder what it must be like as a family member to see how the staff interacts with my relative. I know that if I had to choose one thing that I wanted the staff member to be, at the risk of lacking in other areas, I would want them to be kind. To see a smiling face come in the door, talking to me or my relative with a kind, upbeat voice and treating with a patient nature. It’s hard to imagine anything that could matter more. I know that knowledge and professionalism are important too, and not to be discounted, but that I feel we will all be well-trained in that by the time we graduate. Kindness is not taught in the same way, but now that I understand it’s value. It will be my focus from now on.

The link that you reach when clicking on my title is one of the OT experts that we all admire Jan Davis. Regardless of the technique she is teaching, Jan is a perfect example of the kindness that I have written about. I encourage those who watch it to concentrate just on this aspect as you view it.

No comments:

Post a Comment