Sunday, July 3, 2011

1st time with a dementia patient

Before last week I had never met anyone who has dementia or Alzheimer's. But after discussing dementia & Alzheimer's in class, I would be graded on how I interact with a pt with dementia. While at the nursing home last week, I was given an opportunity to meeting a pt with dementia. I wasn't sure what stage the pt would be in & how I would react. But it went very well. The pt was the kindest man! He was also well dressed. The pt was lying in bed when I knocked on his door, but he sat up & patted his bed for me to sit beside him. My treatment goal was to get him to go with me outside to cut a few flowers to put in a vase. At first he was unsure, but once I told him it would only take a few minutes, he was willing to go with me. While he was walking, he mentioned that his wife comes to visit him. He seemed to really like when I told him he should show his wife his vase of flowers. He even cut a gardenia to give to her when she visits. He also seemed to have really enjoyed having company... he hugged & kissed me & the teacher several times when we had to leave. He even told us at the end he hopes we come to visit him again. He tugged at my heart, & I hope I'm allowed to visit him again while I'm at the nursing home.

No comments:

Post a Comment