Sunday, July 10, 2011

Caring for them

I am really amazed on how fast I began to care for the patients during fieldwork even the ones that you are not treating. As you provide therapy for one, I am always curious about the condition of the other patients there especially if your patient has a roommate. For example, my first patient's roommate seemed friendly and was at RM for rehabilitation. After therapy with my patient, the roommate asked for help to the restroom which I was able to do. Soon after that time, I always stop by to see how she was doing and to to see if she acquired a new roommate, (my patient was discharged two weeks later).

Just this week, while waiting for PT to finish with the patient, I went to speak to my informal patient and she told me she was going home the next day. I was so please that she had gotten better to go home. She had gained weight and was much stronger than when I first met her. I was also glad I had a chance to wish her well. Sometimes we do not get the opportunity to say good bye or good luck.

I understand that caring and being a people person is great characteristics of an OT and OTA, check out this website about some great qualifications.
http://www.helium.com/items/897272-qualifications-you-need-to-become-an-occupational-therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment