Saturday, May 21, 2011

What...Wisdom Doesn't Come With Age???

I was always under the impression that wisdom came with age. I mean if you need help with something or have a question, who do YOU go to for the answer. I either call my mom, my friend, consult with Google or my instructors. I was okay being wrong with the others that I missed on the quiz, but when I heard that wisdom doesn't come with age, I knew I needed to find out what IT did come with. I found this really neat article that I have provided a link to, just click on the title to check it out. Apparently wisdom comes with experience, not age. So okay, I get it, but doesn't experience come with age? Openness, willingness and the ability to try new things and have new experiences seems to be a key factor in acquiring wisdom.

Take my mom for example...If I need advice on kids, I will call my mom. However, she's very close-minded and for that reason, there aren't a lot of other things I will call and ask advice about. She won't even go to a different gas station if she thinks there is a possibility that she won't know how to work the gas pump, yeah, I know!!! I think she's needs some OT for her self-esteem, but she would never go for that. She has only been to a few states in her whole life, and so have I, but I plan to travel one day. My mom is content to stay right where she is to keep peace within the family. We are such different people! Anyway, my point is that even though she is much older than I, I feel like I am the wiser because I have been through a great deal in my life and am willing to try new things.

One surprising statistic from the article, just in case you don't have time to read it.
Less than 1% of the population is really considered to be wise.
Wisdom is, "What we experience and how we perceive, memorize and use this experience in the future."

No comments:

Post a Comment