Sunday, May 29, 2011

Communication with the elderly

For one of our class assignments, we need to interview someone that is 65 or older. I decided to interview a woman I have known for many years. She is turning 85 on June 5th and is now living in a SNF. I will call her "Debra" while writing this blog. Over the years, I have mainly been around Debra at events that were held at our church. I have never had a problem talking with her and did not expect to have any while I was interviewing her. When my husband and I got to the SNF, Debra and her husband were having supper in the dining room. She was so excited when she saw us walk through the door, mostly because my husband was with me and she adores him! When I told her I was doing a paper for school and wanted to interview her, she was ready to leave the dining room right then, telling her husband, "you go back to your room now, we are going to mine because I'm going to be interviewed!" Well, needless to say, I didn't have to say hardly anything! The conversation took off and I don't think Debra took ten breaths during our hour long visit. What amazes me most is that I have know Debra for a very long time and I found out so many new interesting things about her and the wonderful life she has been living. I have always loved her stories and could not believe she had so many more to tell that I have never heard. I laughed, cried and talked till my jaws hurt. The hour flew by and I finally had to tell her I needed to go find my husband, who was visiting with her husband. She said he was probably being held hostage by her husband and it was no telling what "that old fool" was telling him. I had the best time with her. Geriatrics is an area I am interested working in; not that I don't want to explore other options as well.
I also had a very good time talking with the lady I will be working with this summer at another SNF. She is 87 and a joy to be around.
I have attached a link on tips for communicating with the elderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment