Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It was not bad...

When I first started the psychosocial fieldwork I was not sure about the clients that I would be working with. As I may have mentioned in class, I was not comfortable with this particular clientele. Not sure of the reason; maybe never interacted with a person with a TBI, not sure what they needed or wanted, they weren’t normal. But after spending 8 weeks in this setting it was not bad and I have a better understanding. Most of the clients want what the rest of us want. To be understood, appreciated, cared for and loved. They want to have friends, to laugh, to tell jokes, family to love, and to be treated as “normal” as the rest of us. Unfortunately their disability makes it hard for them.
So the next time you see a person not acting the way you would act or a group out for a special outing to the mall or restaurant, realize that they just want to shop and eat and interact like the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment