Sunday, May 29, 2011

Nursing Facilities

A few semesters ago I shadowed an OT at a nursing facility in Wake County. It was the classic set-up, patients lined up in front of the nursing station, and along the hallways. The facility had an odor and it was depressing. All nursing facilities are not like this, are they?

No they are not. Going on fieldwork last Thursday I was pleasantly surprised. The facility was clean and bright. No foul odors and definitely not a line of patients in the hallway. There were activities for the patients and outside areas where one can go. After getting a tour of the facility I realize that the facility was a lot larger inside that looking at it from the outside. So not all facilities are the same, the condition greatly depends on the management and the staff.
My patient is a new patient at the nursing home; she just arrived there a couple of days ago. I would be curious to know what she thinks of the facility after being there a week; I think I will ask her.

No facility is ever going to be perfect or like home but one can find competent care-givers and staff to help the short-term or long-term stay pleasant. If you ever have to consider a nursing facility follow my link (click on my title) to a checklist “How to Choose a Really Good Nursing Home”.

No comments:

Post a Comment