Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What do you say?

"What do you say?"  That is what I was asking myself as I walked into my patient's room and Ms. Gonzalez was trying to waken her.  I am, by no means, comfortable at nursing facilities, but when confronted with a client that is hard to rouse and tells you right up front that she wants to go back and "just sleep," I was at a loss.

I asked my interview questions and got a plethera of "I dont remember"s and "I just like to sleep"s and felt that I had failed miserably.  On one hand I did.  She waved in and out of sleep and I had no statements that sparked her or made me think that she would even remember that I had been there 30 minutes later.  On the other hand, she helped me.  I'm sure that this is not going to be the last time that I encounter a client that just does not want me there.  She helped me to think and prepare for the next time that I see her or someone like her.  Why is she that way and what can I do?

She only has one living relative on record.  A granddaughter whom I'm guessing has a life of her own and children of her own and doesn't get down there to see her as often as she would like (or should).  If someone has no one familiar to talk to, to show true interest in them, they probably think they have chosen the most comfortable option, by opting out.

I don't know that I've ever truly "prepared" for a conversation, but I also need some "weapons in the arsenal" for the next time that I come across a patient like this one (or this one).  She has lost much of her vision and her lust for life.  Maybe I'll take a book to read to her, or playdough to stimulate her tactile senses, or some potpourri to make her room smell good.  Even though she doesn't think so, everyone likes to be thought of, remembered and even stimulated.

On the conversation point, I've found a website of positive topics to talk about with anyone, but especially someone who has a long life on which to look back.  Check it out.
http://www.articlesbase.com/advice-articles/10-interesting-topics-of-conversation-for-every-occasion-171235.html

1 comment:

  1. I love your "don't give up easily" attitude. We never know if a patient is just wanting us to insist on working together to prove we want to. How many of us sometimes say "no" at first and then when someone insists, we gladly say "yes"? Persistence can pay off and at the very least, our effort shows that we care and that has to mean something to them.

    ReplyDelete