Monday, May 23, 2011

Aging is not for wimps

I used to balk at the concept of aging.  It was for everyone else.  I was sure that I would somehow skip the slowdown and play sports, do yardwork and stay out like a young adult forever. 

I got married at 25 and didn't skip a beat.  We were at the lake jetskiing, swimming, whatever every weekend in the summer, skiing in the winter.  Ha!  Take that aging!

Errrk!  29 hit and I had my first child.  No problem.  The jetskis were sold, but that was just because "we couldn't take a newborn to the lake every weekend" (and falling off at 30 mph wasn't as much fun anymore, somehow).  But still, I refused to believe that I had started the process of aging.  Skiing went out the window too, because we "didn't want to leave the wee one for that long" (and getting up on skis hurt the knees alot more that it used to).

By 31, I had my second child and was down to jumping on the trampoline and playing in the yard.  I suddenly felt really "old."  After reflecting on this change in my activity, I complained to my sister that I was feeling old, she made me realize that it really is a state of mind.  Not really what you've stopped doing, but what you continue doing.

As I play with my kids each day, I remember that as long as I keep in mind all of the fun things that I do, I'll stay young much longer than if I dwell on the things that I don't or can't do anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment