Sunday, May 29, 2011

Grandma getting down

My sister's wedding was yesterday and my entire family came down to the beach to join in this wonderful celebration. Included were my grandparents who stayed in our house with my parents and I. My grandfather is 82 and my grandmother is 76. Everyone always comments on how "cool" and "up to date" my grandparents are. This weekend everyone got to meet them on the grooms side of the family and they enjoyed their company as well. The wedding was at 5pm so the reception lasted well into the night. No one could get over the fact that at 11pm my grandparents were still out on the dance floor, dancing the night away. Some were pointing at them with shocked looks on their face - but why? Ageism at it's best here. Why can't my grandparents be out late, dancing at their grand daughters wedding? Are they supposed to be in bed at this point, or sitting at their table just watching? No, not my grandparents, they were hanging in there with the best of them. They didn't let their ages stand in the way. My grandfather even helped take down decorations and put up chairs the next morning. Of course everyone was trying to tell him to let them do it for him but he would have none of that. He was able and willing and was not going to have someone do it for him just because he looks old. My grandparents may look old, but are young at heart and will live to their best ability until they can't no more. So just because someone looks old doesn't mean that they can't do something, let them give it a try before you jump in and do it for them.

I have attached a link on the benefits of dancing regardless of age in the title - enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment