Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Siblings Connections As Older Adults

As I have gotten older, I have been pleasantly surprised that my husband and I have been reconnecting with our siblings. Most of us are now in our 50s and 60s with our children grown, a couple of us have retired from work. We now get together and reminisce about things we did as children, the choices our children are making, how great it is to have grandchildren, and travel together. This is quickly becoming an important part of my support network.

As part of my research, I found several articles stating that our siblings are the longest relationships that most people experience. Obviously, as children we grow up together and spend a lot of time with each other. However, many times siblings leave home to pursue very different lives and lose the connection with each other as the siblings are busy establishing careers and raising families during their 20-40s. During this time period, there is not much time for siblings. As we age, our older relatives need care and past away which generally brings the family together to make decisions about the end of life. Also our children grow up to live their own lives. These changes allow the opportunities to reconnect with siblings.

I am glad that as adults, my siblings and I are able to overcoming any sibling rivalry and enjoy our new found reconnections. I have attached by article about reconnecting with siblings.

www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mom-loves-you-best/201103/why-reconnect-estranged-midlife-siblings-0

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post, I have found the same thing to be true in a slightly different way. When I was born, my oldest siblings were already adults and had moved out of the house. I didn't grow up with them and so our connection was only rare visits and birthday cards. As an adult we visit and vacation together and have become very close. The connection now is priceless to me.

    ReplyDelete