Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Grandma's insecurities

This past Christmas my sister and I got my grandmother a great gift. It's hard to find my grandmother a gift because she has everything and no matter what we get her she always takes it back a week later. Our family always picks on her because she has a camera that is about 20 years old (still has to put film in it). I don't even know where you get filmed developed now. She loves this camera but we decided to get her a digital camera for Christmas. We were hoping that she would love taking pictures with it and get the film "developed" the same way, just with digital card. Well we gave her the gift on Christmas, she acted like she liked it in front of our family and then took it back a week later. We had even gave her a digital picture frame to go with it so she could show off her pictures. She took this back also. When I asked my mother why she took it back, she explained that if my grandmother thinks that she can't do something or learn to do it, she will not do it. Hence taking the camera and frame back, thinking that she couldn't figure out how to do it. Our entire family had gotten her a desktop computer a couple years ago for Christmas, which she kept because she and my grandfather had always went to the library to use their Internet and had figured it out there on their own. She won't use email though because she "doesn't want to mess with it". What she doesn't understand is that she could get pictures through email from her children and grandchildren in other states on email, or even use skype to talk to them. But won't do so because of the chance that she can't figure it out. What resources she is missing out on because she won't try new things. I hate this for her. I wish that I could teach her how to do these things to use these resources to her advantage. No luck there. This is one thing that a lot of older people have in common. Stuck in their ways and will not try new things. Their loss. I wish we could find a way to teach them that it is ok for them to try new things and the things that are out there that they could use to make life easier for them. I wonder how this will impact teaching the elderly to use adapted devices to help them do things, or if they will resist because this is something new to learn?

Here is a link on teenagers teaching the elderly to use new "techy" things like skype from the Wall Street Journal: http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2011/01/11/teens-teach-tech-to-seniors/

No comments:

Post a Comment