Friday, May 20, 2011

Agism

As I have turned 50 this past year, my perspective on aging is changing. When I was younger, I thought 50 was old. Now, not so much! The cartoon I have attach reflects on how time sneaks up on a person and the person does not realize he/she is now old.

I try to treat each person I meet or know as an individual. However, I must admit I am guilty of agism against the elderly as a group. Having lived in Florida where the population is older has influenced my opinion of the elderly. During the winter, driving was hazardous because of all the snowbirds in FL. I often became impatient while trying to get places and being stuck behind an old person driving 40 on the interstate. Also, I laugh at some elderly behaviors like the old man in the neighborhood that has his dog lead the electric wheelchair or the retired couple discussing for several minutes which type of canned vegetables to buy at the store. (To be fair, I also laugh at my own age group and the funny things middle-aged people do like every 40 year old guy wants a motorcycle or sports car.)

I volunteered at a SNF in Florida and met many wonderful and interesting people at the facility. I truly enjoyed working with the individuals and learned so much about their lives and dreams.

As our class has discusses the stereotypes of the elderly, I am more aware of my thoughts about the elderly.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjnnqfYuIcli1O215QEpiU5uZcXRGrSqRbEI7Dzc80V48h4j20_zEIC5ZOBpfmo0eb41sgx56TB4lfAZrMw5_Remqyqs99pLw6MWEh1XAucx4c5WCL5R9OqJ3Q7gjveHepaO6UHZfoSg2nx/s1600-h/funny-old2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment