Saturday, May 21, 2011

Grey hair/old person

So, I am the oldest student in the class and I also have grey hair. Some days I feel like I am no older than a lot of the other students (some days much, much older). When our discussion in class last week turned to people with grey hair (elders), I was laughing out loud and quietly. I have 2 sisters, one younger and one older, that still color their hair. Without looking at our different hair color, we look very much alike. But, since I have grey hair, many people think I am the oldest. For example, we were shopping at a large department store. My older sister was in line in the next lane and asked about the senior discount. The cashier (around her age, I think!!) told her the age and my sister was not old enough for the store discount. The cashier in my line was young and gave me the discount without asking me anything!! When we got outside, I laughed and told her what had happened and that there were benefits to having grey hair! I started getting grey hairs when I was 13. Classmates would sit behind me and pull them out. Yes I have grey hair and yes I am 55, but I don't consider myself "old", and I certainly consider myself "useful"! Hey, let's stamp out "ageism"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment