Sunday, May 29, 2011

1st impression of nursing/rehab center

I wasn't nervous, just unsure what to expect when I arrived at the nursing/rehab center where we're doing FW. I was pleasantly surprised at how lively the place was. They were having a celebration for Memorial Day, serving ice cream, & everyone seemed to be having a good time. The place was bigger than I thought, even though there's not much unused space, & they had to use some of the lobby area for the celebration. It was good to see that they're renovating areas to help with the lack of unused space, & to make it as staff-friendly & patient-friendly as possible. Hopefully our class can help with organizing & maybe "fixing up" some areas in the facility.

One of my worries about going to a nursing/rehab center for the 1st time was what kinds of smells there would be. While taking a tour of the facility, we did encounter an area where there was a fresh "poopy" smell, but overall the facility tries to keep the building pleasant-smelling.... I even saw a woman walking around spraying air freshener.

I had a very good 1st experience at the nursing/rehab center. I interviewed my client, who's recovering from foot surgery. He'll probably be able to go home soon, so I'll have a different client in a few weeks. Until he leaves, I think he'll be a very good pt & will be very cooperative.

I found a good website about nursing homes/SNFs. Here's a section that discusses the top 10 myths about nursing homes - one of them is the myth that nursing homes smell bad.
http://www.seniorhomes.com/p/nursing-home-facilities/


No comments:

Post a Comment