Sunday, December 11, 2011

Where am I now?

When I first started in this program, I thought the end of this semester would never get here. Now as I look back on the last 5 semesters, I am in awe of how far I have come and how fast time has gone by.
The most interesting thing I have learned this past semester is how many things can affect a child's handwriting. I never thought about how posture, grip or even sensation could play a part in how well a child writes. As I was doing fieldwork at an elementary school nearby, I saw several children who were having difficulties with handwriting. I was able to put some of the skills I learned into motion. The feeling I get when I help someone is amazing and uplifting.
If anyone had asked me at the beginning of this semester if I was ready for fieldwork II, I would have told them no way! Now, I am ready. I am ready for the challenges that will come my way and ready to put to use the skills we have worked so hard on. My fw supervisor was great, and the way she encouraged and praised me, made me feel good about myself.
The support from my supervisors, family and friends has given me the confidence to realize that I can accomplish anything I want to.
Whenever I heard a patient or client tell me "thank you", it was an "aha" moment. Those moments made me aware that I am where I should be, helping others using the skills I have learned.
There have been times when the road has been very bumpy, but now, I am ready for the next mile in this journey. Next stop, graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment