Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hmmm.....

As we are challenged to think back to the beginning of the semester, and compare to where we are now--or where we perceive that we are now--I can honestly say that I have learned a lot. This learning is about combining classroom materials and FW experience--and learning/understanding different ways to approach the kids in our daily transactions. It's about bringing our best efforts forward to serve a growing population, and assisting our autistic kids to realize their full potential.
I feel privileged to have been assigned to a terrific OT in a local public school system, who provided me with some "AHA" moments, without even realizing it! She changed her schedule so that I would be able to see different classrooms, teachers, and kids, which allowed me to observe a variety of levels at the different schools. I saw pre-K, elementary, and middle school classrooms. Moving forward, I will be able to carry with me information that I picked up while on this most recent FW.
Just a few of my "AHA" moments include:
changing a child's position from sitting at her desk, to laying on the floor, so that she could more easily and effectively work on a fine motor activity.
Purchasing a large plastic container from a hardware store, cutting an opening in the side (smoothing all surfaces down), and placing in a quieter spot in the classroom, allowing for a safe place to calm down, or pull together.
I knew the importance of schedules, but was still amazed to see how smoothly an autistic classroom may be managed when students understand their daily routines.
Visual cues were abundant in each of our stops. Whether it was an actual picture of a child, a picture of an activity, or a picture of the bus telling the kids it's time to go home, the kids were able to be successful by using the appropriate tools.
My supervisor had a child hold a marker top with digits 4 and 5 while doing a writing activity.
These few things seem so simple, but it was amazing to see the effectiveness!
While I sit here studying, and stressing, I know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I do believe that once I get through these exams, the full impact of what awaits will hit me. I am both excited and nervous about FW--and I know that I am not alone in that. So as far as "coming of age"--I can't say right now, but ask me again after these 2 exams are over!!!! I hope to be shouting from the rooftop, "I can do this!!!!!!!!"
After sitting in class for 2 years with my peers, I feel certain that an amazing group of COTA's are on the horizon. I do believe that this class has so much to give, and to bring to the table. For whatever population each chooses to serve, the individuals in this class will go above and beyond the call. I have seen in the classroom, time and time again, humor, concern, sympathy, caring, understanding, and acceptance (just to name a few!), all traits that will be huge as we venture out in the "real world."
Back to the books--

No comments:

Post a Comment