Monday, December 12, 2011

Coming of Age

When I first started this semester I had mixed feelings about PEDS. Not sure if I could make therapy FUN, I was nervous about interacting with the children.

Peds FW was not as “scary” as I thought it once was. I actually could see myself working with children (initially thought working with only adults). I learned a lot with this class and FW. I learned that handwriting is one of the most important thing for a child to master. Without good handwriting skills; attention decreases, grades go down, and bad behavior can escalate and that children with autism are just children trying to handled the sensory overload.

My “aha” moments were at the elementary school, where what we learn comes to fruition in the classroom. On two separate occasions, techniques used to calm the child worked well. K was more active than usually that morning, my supervisor used proprioception technique by pushing down on K’s shoulder and arms. It actually worked (wow)! He was able to complete his breakfast and proceed to the classroom without incident. With other child, my supervisor let him crawl on the floor when transitioning from one activity to another and he was able to complete the task with less verbal cues.

I am a little anxious about FW2. We have learned a lot of material and it feels jumbled in my head but I do believe that I have what I need to be a great OTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment