Saturday, December 10, 2011

From "student" to "therapist"




This semester has been the start of trying to make that transition from "student" to "therapist". With that said, I have a long way to go. I am still a student and will continue to be a student during FW II but feel it is important to start making the transition now because it will definitely be a process. Back in OTA 163 was still focused on A's and B's and not real clinic work. Sometimes the classroom does not translate easily into the real clinical world or clients home. I am now seeing the importance of therapeutic use of self and knowing your client and how essential these qualities in a therapist are. I use to think that everyone had this, but now I see that not every student has this gift and sometimes you have to work at it. The most interesting thing I learned this semester has for sure been the information about school kids and OT. I never understood how important basic skills are to a school aged child and how important OT can be in helping children. I am really just applying these skills to my own children who are 4 and 6. I can be a better therapist and parent at the same time. I look for scissor skills and handwriting red flags. We do hand strengthening activities and they don't even know it, they simply think we are just having fun. I love it. I have two more exams and then honestly I am ready for FW. Sink or swim ladies, it's time. I feel ready only because this is the way I learn. I have some doubts of course but recently took on a new PRN job that is showing me that I can do this. I am starting to think like an OTA and I don't even know it. I am getting positive feedback from supervisors that are not teachers and this increases my confidence. My yes moments have for sure come from my new jobs. I am practicing like a therapist (kind of) and others are actually listening. Not only that, but my suggestions are working. I am seeing improved function and independence with clients. I am able to create relationships with clients and family members with little effort. I still need my pocket OT dictionary, but I can alway look words up. I can say I have started the transition. I have a long way to go, but I am going forward and this is what the last two years have been all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment