Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pediatric FW.....Day One


Today, during Peds FW we visited kindergarten and 1st grade students. Going into today's session was pretty easy for me. I was just in an elementary school last week, so I was excited and comfortable walking in today. There is always a bit of concern, "will my kid like me?, will I know the right things to say and do?". These kind of feelings come with the territory during any FW experience. I have actually learned more than I thought this semester. I noticed right away that B was hooking her arm and hand while writing. It was easy to identify and I continued to observer her grip and writing style. I learned how to look for something and figure out if something is dysfunctional or not. Kids are always on the go and you just better be ready. Children can also be very tiring, even when they are not your own!! Once again today I realized how important therapeutic use of self comes into play during any type of therapy sessions. Children are no different than adults when it comes to therapeutic use of self and perfecting my therapeutic use of self will benefit me greatly in my future career. For example, I had to connect with B right away. I did this by getting down on her level, keeping eye contact, and listening to her. I am really looking forward to working with B to help her correct her over exaggerated hook grasp. I hope to gain insight into why she does this and how easy or difficult it will be to help her correct it. I am also looking forward to watching my other classmates and how they use their therapeutic use of self. I have two boys and have my own style but to watch and see other at work, I think might help me with my work. I am also looking forward to performing an assessment on B and learning how to coordinate my time while helping her have fun!! I really wish I understood Spanish. I think this would help me connect with B and other in my career. I see more and more spanish speaking children in the schools and this would be a great way to connect with these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment