Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The verdict is ….

If you poll my classmates, some classmates like geriatrics and some like peds, I, on the other hand, am not sure. I like peds because I really like the school setting, the brightness, the colors, and the goal of helping each child to be the best they can be. What makes me nervous about peds is keeping the child/children engaged. If a child does not like you or you are not ‘fun” it is hard to get them to participate in the activity.

Well I meet my two kids; a 5 yo and a 7 yo. They both completed the first activity without problems. It was actually amazing to watch the kids hold the crayons and pencils just like the grasp handout that we got in class. With two children at home I thought I would remember the different stages of development. But I guess it is more objective looking in than when you are trying to raise them. My five yo held the pencil with the immature grasp while my 7yo’s grasp was better but not the mature grasp that I would expect. So all that is taught about development is true!!
Moving on to the second activity was different as well. The 5yo was putting a puzzle together and was able to complete two puzzles. The 7yo played with several different activities that were in the room. What a difference a grade makes! The younger one was content with the one activity and the other was checking out the whole room, LOL.

The session ended for that day and I will say it was fun and engaging. The jury is still, no verdict yet, let’s see what the next session will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment