Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How I feel about the kids...

I really did not have any concerns going into the 1st FW, I felt like this would be pretty easy being that I have a child of my own and I have been around kids basically all my life. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be either. The little ones I worked with were cute and made me laugh because as we know kids say the darndest things! I learned in my PEDS class that play can be used as a tool and that it is a child's main occupation. Also that is the best way to try to teach a child something (especially if you want them to remain focused and grasp what you are trying to teach them). I saw that concept play out (no pun intended) during FW. The children were so into coloring and playing games that they had no clue they were being observed and assessed, they didn't even mind pics being taken of their little hands. I also learned (from past experience & class) that environment affects learning and development...it can be in a positive or negative way, but it does affect it. One of the kids I worked with completely shut down when I mentioned siblings, although it was only for a split second it still happened. I did not push the issue or say anything else and she was fine, but what if whatever gets progressively worse and causes her to shut down for longer periods of time? This will surely affect her learning and development. I am looking forward to being able to teach these children skills that will help them become the best student they can be so they can have a sense of accomplishment and be proud of themselves. I am also looking forward to having them help me with my assessment skills. Today I learned that I still am very concerned with helping those that cannot help themselves. My mother told me even as a child I was always "looking out" for those who did not have or could not help themselves, she said when I was in 1st grade I gave away my sweater to a classmate because she didn't have one and when asked why I said "because she don't have one and I have more than one." Again, while working with my little ones in FW I noticed some things that she needed and my immediate thought was "well, I can just bring that when I see her again." But that might not be acceptable so I have to learn to not get so emotionally attached....stay tuned to see if that works out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment