Friday, September 23, 2011

Back in the School Environment

As we visited our Kindergarten and first grade students this week, I was reminded of just how much I enjoy these little people! Although there was considerable difference between the two children, they both brought their own personalities and abilities, and couldn't have been cuter!
As we have learned in our Ped's. class, what seems like a short amount of time (6 months), can have a huge impact on the abilities and understanding of these little folks. I saw a vast difference between the two students, as my kindergarten student could not spell or write his name, and J (1st grade) was off and running, and wanting to do more.
As I have known prior to this semester, kids , even at their young age, need exposure to simple things. Parks, animals, books, crayons, letters and numbers are just a few examples of things that may make a huge difference in the lives of kids. Common (simple) knowledge is so important, even for a 5 year old. Having the ability to write one's name or identify certain letters can positively impact a kindergarten student. I do believe that even though S has not had much of this type of exposure before entering school, he will be able to work with his teacher to learn and improve on writing and identifying letters and numbers. What a great feeling that will be for him!
For the next two sessions, I am looking forward to working with these two boys again. I am curious to see how they will handle the assessments. I am reminded of the innocence, and at the same time, the capacity that each of the boys hold.
I feel good about being back in an environment that I am comfortable in, after having spent several years in the kindergarten classroom. I am encouraged to think that as an OTAS, I may be able to make a difference in the lives of our little people.

No comments:

Post a Comment