Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Panel of guests

The panel of guests we had in class gave us a wealth of information about different types of settings for people with MI. The work places were totally different in the way clients received treatment. One had an open door policy where clients could come in on a daily basis. Another had clients that were admitted short term and long term. Another seemed to be more of a medical setting. I still do not know if a psych setting is an option for me when I graduate.
As far as the roles we will have as OTA's, the panel answered a lot of questions that I have thought about myself. Questions such as, what advice can you give us? Have you ever felt in danger? What would you change about your job? The answers helped to calm my fears about working with the MI. The job that impressed me the most was the one where the staff worked side by side with the clients and how they "do things with people, not to people".
A member of our family, a friend, or even one of us, could one day be a client at one of these facilities. A a future OTA, I want to treat everyone with compassion and dignity, the way I would want to be treated.
Click on the title for a link about compassion for the MI. Also, NAMI sent out a stigma buster about the incident in the link (name calling).

No comments:

Post a Comment